Saturday, November 15, 2008

And words to write before I sleep

Okay. Think I'm closing in on 22,000 words on the rough draft of my novel, and I still don't know where I'm going with it. I thought it was going to be about these women I used to know in another state, but it has turned into an incoherent examination of one or two of my deepest fears. I keep telling myself that the only way to learn how to write novels is to write them. Maybe I'm learning something, but at the moment I'm rather frustrated. I think I can catch up on my word count and make sense of my novel by the end of the month, but I'm not sure of it.

Several times a week the local writers group for NaNoWriMo meets at local cafes in order to work together on our efforts for each of us to write a 50,000 novel by the end of the month. One of our group has finished her first NaNo novel and is starting her second. Another threw out the project she was working on and is 6,203 on the novel she decided to write instead. We are at the Red Cup. We are eating good food and hearing pleasant music.

Sound like fun? It's not too late for you to start your novel.

No comments: