Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Obama speaking

I have even fewer words for this.

I find myself  having a great deal of respect for the calm, composed young man who talks about rebuilding the United States. A man who promises to tell us the truth and listen to us, especially when he disagrees with us.

He says America can change, that this is the genius of America.

Is it okay for me to admit that I still am not sure that America is, or has a genius?

He's talking about a woman in Atlanta who voted today, a woman who is 106, a woman whose name is Ann Nixon Cooper. Who could not vote as a young adult for two reasons, because she is a woman and because she is black.

I tend to resist euphoria.

A woman behind me is saying, "now the work begins."

I can't sort it out now, but this is a very good moment.

No comments: