Saturday, August 30, 2008

Maybe they are a Republican front group?

P.U.M.A., supposedly a group of Hillary Clinton supporters, has thrown its support to John McCain now that he's selected the inexperienced and ultraconservative Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate.

All the women I've talked to are insulted and slightly incredulous at this choice--as was Jill over at Feministe. I'm not sure that I'm either insulted or incredulous--after all, this is the party that sent Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court to replace Thurgood Marshall. The G.O.P. often has been unable to tell the difference between diversity and tokenism. I expect even less from the Republicans than I do from the Democrats.

What does astonish me is a supposedly feminist group of women that tries to deny the threat that the McCain/Palin ticket would pose to women's reproductive rights, as P.U.M.A. does in this post: P.U.M.A / McCain/Palin on Roe Vs. Wade…

Commenters to this post have suggested that P.U.M.A. is a Republican front group--a charge that GrandPuma hotly denies. I have no way to evaluate the claims of either side. But it is incredible to me that a group allegedly formed to support the staunchly pro-choice Hillary Clinton would back a slate that opposes everything that Clinton stands for.

No comments: