Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tuesday, Aug. 26, at the DNC: What will Hillary Clinton and her supporters do?

On Sunday I mentioned the continuing extreme bitterness that some Hillary Clinton supporters still are promoting against the candidacy of Barack Obama. Apparently this is continuing, despite Clinton's firm and repeated calls of support for Obama. Lisa Stone at BlogHer has a fascinating analysis of the situation.

Like Stone, I am puzzled by the feeling of betrayal these women seem to be experiencing. Yes, Hillary Clinton's treatment by the Democratic Party has been influenced by sexism, some of it extreme. But when has the Democratic Party ever provided reliable support for feminism or other human rights activism? For me, a feeling of having been betrayed requires a disappointed expectation of worthy behavior.

From the treatment of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party during the 1964 Democratic National Convention, to Jimmy Carter's firing of Bella Abzug because she said that his policies hurt poor women, to Bill Clinton's betrayal of Lani Guinier and hisshredding of the social safety net, the Democratic Party has given me little reason to expect worthy behavior. It's hard for me to get mad at them for doing what they've always done.

This fall, I'll make the pragmatic decision to vote for Barack Obama. In the long run, I think I need to think about helping gain ballot access for the Green Party in Oklahoma. Dare I say one more time that I wish I had the chance to vote for candidates like Cynthia McKinney?

Meanwhile, there are other occasions for outrage. Feminist Peace Network has a piece on police brutality against a Code Pink demonstrator at the convention--and another piece about the way Comedy Central has "invisibilized" McKinney's candidacy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right -- when did the Democratic Party ever provide reliable support for feminisim. But, I thought it might be different this time. Hillary had a chance. So I'm disappointed and angry at the way she was treated. For me the question is not really what will Hillary do but what will Barak Obama and his campaign do. Her speech (and Bill's) to the convention was a whole-hearted endorsement of the Party's nominee. I'm waiting for Obama and his campaign to treat her with the respect due to someone with 18 million voters supporting her. I'll vote for him but my earlier optimism has been replaced with my usual cynicism that its just politics as usual.

amazon grace said...

I don't think a person needs to be a cynic to look at the Obama campaign as largely another exercise of "politics as usual."

It looks to me as if you posted this before Obama made his acceptance speech to the convention last evening. I'd be interested in hearing, what do you think? Did Obama go far enough in recognizing Hillary Clinton? What did you think of how he dealt with feminist and gay/lesbian issues?

Personally, I'm not sure what I think.

Unknown said...

I think he said the right things in his speech to acknowledge Hillary and Bill's contributions.

amazon grace said...

I agree with you, preaves, but apparently John McCain has been hoping that many Hillary Clinton supporters will think otherwise.

I found this interesting story over on
truthdig
that suggests that McCain's v.p. pick really may have been a desperation move on his part.