Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Happy birthday, Ms. Marilyn

I heard on the radio this morning that today is Marilyn Monroe's birthday. Which reminded me of Judy Grahn's poem about Marilyn Monroe, which is one of my favorite poems. I found the full text of this poem on a blog called virgotext.

Here's a sample:
the reporters are furious
they are asking me questions
what right does a woman have to Marilyn Monroe’s body?
and what am I doing for lunch?
ha ha they think I mean to eat you
their teeth are lurid and they want to pose me
leaning on the shovel, nude
don’t squint
but when one of the reporters comes too close
I beat him
bust his camera with your long smooth thigh
and with your lovely knuckle bone
I break his eye
It's a lovely poem and not very long. Why not read the whole thing?

Oooh. And here's a video.

No comments: