Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fireworks

I didn't go out to see any fireworks tonight (unless you count stepping out the door to take out the trash while people on my street are setting a few things off). But earlier there was a very dramatic thunderstorm. I was in the midst of printing out a manuscript that a friend had asked to see when after one big boom, all the power went out.

A couple of years ago during the big December ice storm that left me without power for eight days, I swore that I'd never complain about the Oklahoma summer again. Tonight I was reflecting that being without power during the Oklahoma summer could be a worse thing than going without it during an ice storm.

I wandered around my neighborhood trying to figure out how far the outage went. Just around the corner from my house, some nice young people sitting out on a porch offered to let me barbecue a marshmallow on their charcoal grill. So I did, since it had been ever so long since I'd had a toasted marshmallow. Then I proceded to survey the extent of the blackout. It seemed to extend from the north side of 31st to the south side of Hill, and from Western to at least as far as Walker.

When I passed the substation at 31st and Western, there was an OG&E truck parked out front. Just then, some very loud popping sounds emanated from some of the substation equipment, and large sparks jumped into the air. This was not encouraging, but a few minutes later when I passed my house again, I could see that the power had come back on.

Meanwhile, the nice young people on the porch had been joined by another friend, and they were all discussing whether a straight man might shave his testicles without any aspersions being cast on his masculinity. This question was actually posed to me. I gave the only answer possible, which was, "I'm an old-school lesbian feminist, how the hell should I know?" But I offered the opinion that everyone should shave whatever they wanted to shave, and leave alone whatever body hair they liked as it was.

Now there are loud popping sounds out on the street that seem to be caused by fireworks rather than by thunder, and my little cat is sitting under the bed. But she doesn't seem terribly distressed.  All in all, a fairly pleasant evening.

No comments: