Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Polls About Race Can Elicit Dishonest Responses : NPR

As I was driving over to the Red Cup today, I was listening to this segment on Talk of the Nation. I wasn't so much listening on purpose. It was just a thing where I hit the "FM" button on my radio out of curiosity about what was on.

If I'd known the topic was going to be politically polling, I would have kept my finger off the button. The existence of polling makes me angry. If I were Queen, I would outlaw it. Polling creates the illusion of popular involvement in political life, but undermines the reality of real participation. Instead of genuine discussions of issues of public policy, political campaigns become superficial popularity contests.

This discussion made me uneasy for two reasons. They were talking about the idea that white people might be lying when they tell pollsters that they're willing to vote for a black candidate. I think this is a discussion that shapes opinions as well as revealing them. At the risk of sounding irrational or paranoid, it feels like something that justifies and encourages racism in the white electorate.

But what really blew my mind was a caller to the show who said she was liberal on most issues, but against what she called "illegal immigration." Not only does she hide her true opinion from her friends, but she goes to political demonstrations and holds up signs she disagrees with. I hardly even know what to say to this. It scares me. Disagreement is important. Honest disagreement is one important ways that community is built.

This is a complicated topic, but the Red Cup is closing in five minutes, so I'll leave it as it is.

No comments: