Saturday, October 11, 2008

Just in time for National Coming Out Day

Let's just say that gay marriage isn't my issue. Coming out of a radical feminist background, I tend to understand marriage as an obnoxious patriarchal institution. I have a difficult time understanding why lesbians want to take part in it. Nevertheless, I think it is important to note that the Connecticut Supreme Court has overturned a state law that outlawed gay marriage.

National Coming Out Day is something else I've been kind of skeptical about. The argument goes that if all of the queers came out of the closet, discrimination against us would vanish because heterosexuals would realize how many of us there are and that they actually know some of us.

I beg to differ. Visible minorities suffer at least as much discrimination as invisible minorities do.

Nevertheless, in case any of y'all are still wondering, I think it's time that I let you know...I'm a lesbian.

No comments: